Members of the executive of Association of Estate Agents of Nigeria have been inaugurated in Abuja. The Association of Estate Agents in Nigeria (AEAN) is a new body being midwifed by the Nigeria Institution of Estate Surveyors and Valuers (NIESV).
Over the years, Estate Surveyors and Valuers have noticed the bastardization of an aspect of our profession particularly Estate Agency which for want of a better word has been turned into an all comers affair.
As a matter of fact the poor public perception and image of the Estate Agent and in effect the profession of Estate Surveying and Valuation, is as a result of the activities and incursion of nonprofessionals into the practice of Estate Agency.
The Institution in a bid to reverse this trend has set up the Association of Estate Agents in Nigeria.
Its terms of reference are:
- To guide activities of the body for the time being, pending when an Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the new body will be convened to elect its substantive officers.
- To liaise with the Lagos State Estate Agency body with a view to fashioning out a preeminent role for our own association.
- To fashion out the modalities for membership of the association (for NIESV members and others).
- To work out the modus operandi for the association viz-a-viz training, minimum qualification for membership, etc.
- To design ways and means to put the practice of Agency under control throughout the nation and make these body the main association of Estate Agents in the country.
- Work towards the presentation of a bill for government recognition and charter for the association to the National Assembly.
- To present reports of its activities to the Management Committee and or council, on a regular basis.
Membership of the Association is open to all professionals and other interested Nigerians with a minimum of School Certificate Level of education.
There are different categories of membership.
The Association of Estate Agents in Nigeria though an independent body will draw on its relationship with the NIESV to ensure that members receive training, study materials and are tutored regularly in the way and manner to engage successfully in the profession and practice of Estate Agency so that it is a win-win situation for all stakeholders and also that best practices are upheld.
Speaking to newsmen at the occasion, Geoffrey Tabansi of FMLHUD, Mabushi, said the association is out to sanitize the industry as it done in the UK. On housing deficit in the country, he said governments at all level have been making effort to build affordable houses for the teaming population in the country. He pointed out that everybody will benefit from the AEAN project.
Members of the new executives are: Mr. Chudi Ubosi – Chairman; Mr. Kunle Adedeji- Vice Chairman; Isa Jatto – Secretary; Mr. Gbenga Ismail – Assistant Secretary; Mrs. Vivian Owei-Shama – Financial Secretary; Mr. Isang Udo-Akagha – Assistant. Fin. Sec.; Mr. Hassan Baba – PRO; Mr. Kene Onuora – Assistant PRO;Mr. Adamu Kasimu – Treasurer; and Mr. Emmanuel Alao – Welfare Officer.
The Chairman, Chidi S. Ubosi M. Sc. FNIVS, told newsmen that his team is out to accommodate anybody who is interested in the business of estate agency. He promised the association will no time establish offices in every state in Nigeria.