Thyssenkrupp To Partner ABUCCIMA To Develop The Mining Sector

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

ThyssenKrupp is a German corporation that generates 31 % of  her consolidated sales with customers in the home country, while customers outside Germany account for the remaining 69 %. Outside of Germany, member countries of the European Union (24 %) and North America (21 %) are the key foreign markets for the corporation’s business activities.

The corporation was in Abuja, under the leadership of Koos Smit, Advisor-Group Representative Officer Southern African, to present the organization’s willingness to partner with Nigerian investors in the mining sector. He was introduced to the audience by the President of Abuja Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (ABUCCIMA), Engr. Solomon Nyagba FSNE, to tell Nigerian investors his mission in the country.

In his presentation, Koos Smit gave a brief history of the corporation by saying that it was established in 1811. He said only 3% of his organisation’s business is in Sub-Saharan Africa, which referred to as being infinitesimal. He mentioned some competence areas of his organization to be; escalators, downstream machineries, mining machineries and expertise. He gave example with Mozambique as the country where corporation has performed well in mining business.

At the end he told the audience that his corporation is in Nigeria to partner with investor to develop the mining sector and associated industry. He also promised that his organization will operate in the country according to world’s best practices.

Responding on behalf of ABUCCIMA, the President of Miners Association of Nigeria, Alh. Sani Shehu thanked the corporation for showing interest in Nigeria’s mining industry. He advised them not to behave like Chinese firms that packed out everything they make wherever they do business, thereby neglecting to extend Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) to host communities. He also said the sector in being neglected. He cited that agriculture, textile and even entertainment get more funding than mining. He revealed that mining is capital intensive. According to him, “The country’s expenditure is expanding but and the revenue decreasing, a serious funding will add to the GDP in no time”.

The Vice President Mines, Arch. Chidi Okoli, corroborated the President, but added that the mining body’s mandate is to help investors to network with trade partners from across the world. He opined that mining is not well harnessed and he enjoined miners to key in into the initiative brought by Thyssenkrupp.

The DG of ABUCCIMA, Joe Wenegieme told Nigerian investors to take advantage of the meeting to explore the mining industry and other benefits that can be derived from identifying with the chamber. He used the platform to tell attendees to be part of the forthcoming centenary Trade Fair.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s